We Should All Be Feminists



I had always kicked against the word ‘feminism’ and always liked to dissociate myself from the conversation. I just couldn’t draw the margin between a misandrist (a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against men) and a feminist (someone who believes in feminism - the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes).

Recently, I had a conversation with my project supervisor and he asked what I would like to do after school. I told him and he was quick to call me a feminist. Now, that wasn’t quite complimentary to me. I mean, I felt he did not understand me. I hated to be called a feminist. I argued with him and told him how I quite understand men (I’m not sure I do) and why I think calling myself a feminist wouldn’t be representative of by my repertoire (a stock of skills or types of behavior that a person habitually uses). I even went on to tell him about what I think should be done by couples and so on.
It got me thinking. It got me really assessing myself and core values, and also reading wide on the subject matter of FEMINISM. So many people on their first encounter with me, tag me as a FEMINIST. And I didn’t like it.

Not until an hour ago did it dawn on me that I had refused to accept who I really am, who is a FEMINIST, because I was yet to part ways with the norms, cultural ethics and standards about gender I had internalized for so many years. I had failed to accept the term, or to be tagged as a FEMINIST just because I felt it was unAfrican, unideal, totally unwife-material-ly, unacceptable and all the other ‘un-‘ you might think of. First off, I belong to the largest movement of girls and women’s rights – World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. Yea, I’m a Girl Guide.
The concept of feminism is just about the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of sexes. I sure believe in that! I sure advocate for that too! In fact, I’m passionate about it. But because I did not want to be painted as an African girl who had blindly embraced the western concept, I decided not to be a part of the movement.

You know, this is what I think: Being a feminist is a good thing. It’s not just the women that are feminist; ANYONE including men, that advocates for equality of sexes, #genderparity, #genderequality is also a feminist. The society, in fact, the black coloured nation, is revolving from what it used to believe in (though a few in the society are still adamant about some issues). Culture doesn’t dictate to the people, the people dictate the culture! So, it’s either we all come to terms with accepting that a lot of feminists are being raised, and put all hands on deck to achieving gender parity or you just sit back and watch us prevail.

I stand with #ChimamandaAdichie.
I believe #WeShouldAllBeFeminists.

Comments

  1. hmm Feminism.............. I think the only problem I have with the concept is that it brews disorder sometimes. but that's my own opinion...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Parity: Let's get real a bit

Sample essay for postgraduate application 2