Sample personal statement for postgraduate application

University of Edinburgh - Global Health Policy
Personal Statement
Please give a short statement that describes your academic interests, purpose, objectives and motivation in undertaking this postgraduate study. (max 3500 chars – approx. 500 words)

understand, critically appraise and apply key concepts and theories within policy studies, international political economy and public health science with specific reference to social and economic determinants of population health status; public health policy norms; concepts of epidemiology and research methods; and processes and institutions of public policy-making.
You will also develop the skills to:
  • apply social science perspectives to public health questions
  • assess the changing context of public health policy formulation
  • analyse diverse source materials and apply to public health questions
  • articulate your own conception of core challenges confronting public health
  • engage in public health advocacy
  • work across disciplinary boundaries

Everyone has that “ah-ah” moment that allows you to see a situation from a better perspective and takes away the fog that once clouded one’s vision. My first Veterinary Public Health class in my fifth year of university was my big “ah-ah” moment. I could not expressly decide if I had found my passion, but I knew I had found something that resonated with me. Using a social science approach to study traditional science was what tickled my fancy in that class.

Having been introduced to the concept of advocacy and policy-making when I was preparing for my role as a remote delegate for World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts at the United Nations’ 62nd session of the Commission on the Status of Women, I was able to tie the experience gained during that period to many things I learned during my Public Health classes. Working in the capacity as the Program Associate of the Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh (DRASA) Health Trust, an organization established in honour of the doctor who helped to curb the spread of Ebola in Nigeria in 2014, but lost her life in the process, I have been privileged to see the loopholes existent in trying to bridge the gap between our efforts to combat infectious diseases, especially in the purview of preventive medicine and the approval by the health sector to bringing the plans into a reality. Working at the organization made it glaring to me that more work needs to be done in making and approving policies for the global health agenda across different levels.

In a bid to add more capacity to my global health interests, I took a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) in Systems Thinking in Public Health offered by Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University. This certificate course revealed the importance of having proper systems backing up any stakeholder’s approach to solving a health issue. One of my favourite topics is the Public Health Triumvirate which emphasizes the roles to be played by the technocrats -health professionals, the decision-makers and the civic leaders. This approach certainly has been underutilized.

I am applying to the University of Edinburgh because she is a renowned citadel of learning and world-class research, with diversity that includes nationals from different countries and walks of life. Its mission to create, disseminate and curate knowledge is a great way to ensure that academically sound and resourceful leaders are produced. Completing a Masters degree in Global Health Policy from such an academically challenging but friendly and supportive environment would be valuable to achieving my goal. 

I aspire to be one of the drivers of positive change in public health, not just at the local level, but internationally. I intend to contribute my quota to a world structured on a health system that works. I see myself speaking from a level of in-depth understanding of the international political economy and population health,  to make informed decisions at high-level meetings on health at the United Nations or even the World Health Organization. 

Upon completion of my Master's degree, I plan to share my experience, skills and knowledge gained from my time in Edinburgh with my colleagues and also commence the journey to re-strategize and implement new policies that will not only contribute to the health of the population but the health of the globe at large. Improving public health will have an impact on individuals, as being healthy potentiates ability to create wealth.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Parity: Let's get real a bit

We Should All Be Feminists

Sample essay for postgraduate application 2