Sample essay for postgraduate application 2

University of Kent: MSc in Infectious Diseases

Reasons for study (minimum of 100 words, maximum of 2000 characters) *
Everyone has that “ah-ah” moment that sparks up an interest. Watching the movie - Rampage was my “ah-ah” moment. I was fascinated by the high level of technology mashed up with molecular science to create a deadly pathogen. That day, I read about Clustered Regularly Interspersed Short Palindromic Repeats (CRISPR) and figured there was more to CRISPR and the movie did not accurately do justice to the gene editing tool that can be used to target and destroy invading foreign DNA cells, and actually manage infectious disease pathogens. I wanted to know more and that day marked the beginning of my quest to know more about infectious diseases, especially how they affect a large number of the human population.
Having been introduced to some pathogens of infectious diseases during my undergraduate study in Parasitology and Microbiology classes, that set a tone for my future study of Infectious Disease. Upon graduation from veterinary school, I interned with a public health organization. My graduate internship at Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh (DRASA) Health Trust made me more hooked on the subject matter of infectious diseases. The organization itself was established in honour of the doctor who helped to curb the spread of Ebola in Nigeria in 2014 but lost her life in the process. I am optimistic that a technically-taught Masters degree in Infectious Diseases will equip me to combat the spread of infectious diseases.
To accelerate my vision to be an expert in Infectious Diseases, I decided to apply to the University of Kent because she has a renowned reputation for world-class research and has a diversity of students, who come together from more than 150 countries towards a common goal of protecting public health. Situated in the historic town - Canterbury, the University of Kent holds the potential of making a student study in a conducive atmosphere. Learning in such a diverse environment is set to broaden my horizon and also help me build meaningful and lasting relationships.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Parity: Let's get real a bit

We Should All Be Feminists