We Should All Be Feminists 2

#WeShouldAllBeFeminists


 This is a sequel to the first post on #WeShouldAllBeFeminists.
I was criticized after I wrote the post, it went online first on Facebook, and then I brought it here.
I had to overcome procrastination to write a sequel.

First things first, do not forget that a Feminist is defined as someone who believes in feminism - the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes. If you believe that a girl child should be in school because she has the same rights as a boy; you believe a lady should be duly promoted when she deserves it and not relegated just because of her gender, sweetheart, let us call a spade a spade, you are a FEMINIST.

However, lots of women are overdoing FEMINISM. The same set of women who are advocating for feminism as extremists, are also the very same set that believe women should be treated with preference. Sounds familiar? Of course. Many women want to be preferentially treated, yet they claim they are power women who can do all things by themselves.

Misandry, having a dislike, despise, or being strongly prejudiced against men is just pure extremism and not feminism. I agree that many men and lots of powerful members of the masculine gender have subjugated many women, and feminism has been embraced by all and sundry to prove a point. Yas! I am a strong advocate for Violence against Women (VAW) and Gender Based Violence (GBV) which has been defined as the act of violating, infringing on the rights of a person, just because of their gender. O boy, one too many a chauvinist we meet on a daily basis! I am not ignorant of the fact that in many societies today, the male gender views the female gender as an object of pleasure, subjugation and relegation.
But then, we have so many good men out there who are refined in their thoughts! They strongly encourage the women in their lives to aim for and reach the top. They go to any length to ensure that no female in their lives ever gets refused or denied access to some certain privileges by virtue of their gender.

Let us do some serious talking here. Nothing appeases a man more than RESPECT and 'polishing' his ego. I walk into a room, notice that there is 'any' man there, I speak to him with the same level of respect I'm gonna use with a female. I see in a few minutes of conversation that he is a chauvinist or he is not one, I know how to deal with him. I respectfully converse with him, get what I want and it's a win-win for everyone. It has worked for me, and still works for me. Now, this is not to say that men should be given some special kind of respect, I'm just saying "Respect is reciprocal".

Where I get all so confused and sad is the point at which some married extremist-feminist-women have dragged their extremism into their home. Did I forget what the Bible says about husbands and wives? Husbands are to love their wives and the wives are to respect their husbands. The Bible also talks about the husbands being the head of the home. Now, I do not understand why so many girls my age and even married women have thrown that line out of their Bibles and interpreted it to be "Husbands and wives, compete for leadership". Respect your man and he is definitely going to support you. He's so tough and stubborn, I hear you say. Do not worry, what does not break us, would definitely make us.

Back to the matter, on why  #WeShouldAllBeFeminists.
How beautiful will our world be if everyone had access to quality education, basic social amenities, good schools, excellent jobs, audience, freedom, beautiful cloths etc, irrespective of our sexes?
Oh oh! That is what FEMINISM ideally preaches. Why should I be looked down upon or denied entry or relegated or raped or violated just because I AM A FEMALE? That is the question!
And that is why there are good feminists who understand what the concept is all about, and then the extremists who paint feminism as if we want to wipe men away from our world.
If the society would stand up and embrace #genderparity and equality of rights, FEMINISM would achieve its true purpose.
Do not forget, the moment you advocate for the girl child to be educated just as the boy child, you advocate that she gets the job just as he does, you advocate that she is entitled just as he is, YOU ARE A FEMINIST.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Parity: Let's get real a bit

We Should All Be Feminists

Sample essay for postgraduate application 2